Monday, June 23, 2014

The Desire to be Known








I have sometimes wondered if the greatest desire of [humanity] is to be known and loved anyway. – Donald Miller

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. – Psalm 139:1
But now you know God, or better still, God knows you. – Galatians 4:9
****
I’m not going to give you a bunch of statistics and documented studies today.  Today’s post is a little more personal – I guess so you can “know me” a little better :)

This past Saturday, I had to appear before my denomination’s licensing committee for an hour interview.  It was the next step in the journey I’ve been on for several years now.  In the letter of invitation, I was asked to bring a couple of people from my church leadership who “know me”. 
Stop and think about that for just a minute.  
 
If you had to bring 2 people with you who could vouch for your deepest character – who fully knew the person that you are – who would that be?  In all honesty, there are plenty of days when I don’t fully know who I am!  And, here’s a little bit more honesty for you – I’m not sure the church leadership knows me as well as some other people I could have brought along.  There are lots of reasons for that – when I’m at church, I’m either in a meeting with a specific agenda or attending worship or at a music practice.  All of which I enjoy and find meaningful, and I guess it shows that I am involved and punctual and reliable, but it doesn’t necessarily lead to deep knowledge of who I am.  The intention of this post is not to dog my church (or any church), it’s simply to say there is more to being known than just being present.  

One of the things I have always loved about my store is the opportunity to share our stories.  During classes, our hands are busy, but our mouths are free :))   And even when folks come into the store simply to shop, there’s always a story.  They are looking for the perfect words to include in a card for a critically ill friend.  They are looking for paper to make a scrapbook for their new grandchild.  Sometimes, they don’t come in with a specific mission – they just need a break from the stress of the workday or from caring for their increasingly dependent parent.

One of my favorite things about these conversations is that they often end in a touch or a hug – or a real connection of seeing each other eye-to-eye.  There is a moment of “knowing”.  It is a holy moment.  I think we were made with a deep desire for those moments – a deep desire to be known.  And that is why, when they happen, those moments often bring tears.  It’s like receiving the one gift you really, really wanted.  That joy that your body simply can’t contain.  So, it leaks out your eyes :)
These moments happen with some regularity at our store, but they’ve been happening more frequently this summer as we’ve done some of these extra workshops – the Guided Meditations, the Affirmation Boxes and so on.  It has been exhilarating to be a part of.  I want to invite you to come experience it for yourself.  I would love to get to know you, and to let you know me.  Don’t feel like you have to jump in the deep end.  I never force anyone to share – that’s why I provide notebooks for you to journal in, if that’s more comfortable.  But people have shared as their comfort level dictates, and we’ve all learned more about one another in the process.  Here’s what’s coming up:

Tuesday, June 24 at 9 AM – Guided Meditation using thePsalms

Monday, June 30 at 7 PM – Anointing and Prayer RitualsWorkshop

Saturday, July 19 at 9 AM – Labyrinth Walking Meditation

No comments:

Post a Comment